The Gate: Exquisite Vegetarian Food In London

THE GATE: EXQUISITE VEGETARIAN FOOD IN LONDON

A few days ago I was invited to lunch at The Gate in Hammersmith. Located just a three minute walk away from the station, right behind The Hammersmith Apollo, this vegetarian restaurant is a must if you’re in London. It’s tucked away so pay attention or you’ll miss it. Up around a winding staircase you find yourself in a brightly lit, slightly edgy space. As we were visiting on a Monday lunch time it was pretty much empty but I can imagine it being a lot more crowded at dinner time.

Read on to find out about the food…

Wanting to get a real feel for all the food on offer, we opted for the Mezze platter for two. Banana fritters, quiche, goats cheese and beetroot, lentil pâté, and miso aubergine. When the platter arrived I was amazed at all the vibrant colours. It looked amazing – and tasted even better. I honestly couldn’t decide which I liked the best as they were all super yummy and also really filling. Lentil pâté sounded a bit bland to me but it was actually really smooth and went went well with the chutney.

THE GATE: EXQUISITE VEGETARIAN FOOD IN LONDON

For the main there were loads of different options including salads, tarts curries and more. I ended up choosing a beetroot and quinoa burger and my friend went for the tortilla with beans. I’m really fussy when it comes to quinoa and think it either really works or really doesn’t. In the case it was the former. The beetroot gave the burger an almost sweet flavour, which went well with the brioche bun.

The tortilla my friend got was a-mazing. I thought this item looked kinda meh on the menu but it was actually full of flavour, there was lots of guac and it felt like a proper meal. I only ever have tortillas as a quick lunch because they’re so easy to make and eat but as you can see from the beautiful presentation, this tortilla was something else.

On the side we ordered polenta chips and sweet potato wedges. This was probably a mistake as this is where we really began to struggle to find space left in our stomachs. One side is definitely enough for two if you’re planning on having the full three courses as we were absolutely stuffed! The potato wedges were my favourite and were seasoned with some spices. They seemed to have been grilled rather than fried so they were also healthy! Polenta doesn’t really have much of a flavour but these chips were seasoned to perfection.

Although we weren’t even able to finish the main, we had to get dessert. There were loads of options from vegan cheesecake to sticky toffee pudding to sorbet. We opted for the banoffee pie in the end and were not disappointed – just look at how pretty it is! This was a twist on a traditional banoffee pie with a crumbly base, dates in the middle surrounded by caramelised bananas and a (un)healthy layer of cream to top it off!

I had a hot chocolate to finish off our meal and it came with a milk heart shape on it! This is only the third hot chocolate I’ve ever had in my life with a cool design on it and it made me weirdly happy inside. It was also a really good hot chocolate, which I never really find in restaurants. The Gate is a great, open space that would be perfect for working in the afternoon and with hot drinks like this you can keep topping up all afternoon.

All in all, I was really, really impressed with the food at The Gate. In fact when it came to ordering, the table next to us just said, “we’ll have what they’re having”, pointing at our food. No, really. I was also so surprised at just how full I was at the end of this meal – I genuinely didn’t eat for the rest of the day. I’m sometimes wary of vegetarian or healthy eating places because you’re never quite sure if you’re going to get a decent amount food for the price you pay but that isn’t a problem here. In addition the staff are all super friendly and the food arrived in a timely fashion so I can’t really think of anything wrong with my visit!

Address
The Gate
51 Queen Caroline St
Hammersmith
W6 9QL

Website
thegaterestaurants.com

Opening times
12-2:30pm, 6-10:30pm every day

Price
3 course meal for two – £60-70

Stay up to date with What’s Hot?

Instagram / Facebook / Twitter / Pinterest

Share:

22 Comments

1. LaaLaa
    8th December 2016 / 3:43 PM

I wish there was more vegetarian places near me. It’s so limited, I like the sound of the beetroot and quinoa burger, delicious x

2. 8th December 2016 / 4:43 PM

The presentation on all of these dishes is just gorgeous, everything looks delicious. It sounds like you truly enjoyed everything you tried and found a wonderful place to eat out.

3. 8th December 2016 / 5:20 PM

Mezze platters are always a great way of trying things out, looks like a great meal x

4. Natasha Mairs
    8th December 2016 / 5:45 PM

This place sounds right up my street. I can’t resist a bit of quiche and the lentil pate sounds nice. That pudding look just so good!!

5. La French Connection
    8th December 2016 / 8:50 PM

That looks pretty cool! I’m not veggie completely, I’d say flexitarian so I still really love going to veggie places as I try to reduce my meat intake.

Mika

6. 9th December 2016 / 10:24 AM

What a gorgeous looking meal. I think I need to visit the next time I’m in London.

7. 9th December 2016 / 12:40 PM

The food looks amazing! My friend is veggie so I’ll have to suggest this place to her x

8. 9th December 2016 / 1:53 PM

oh wow look at that food its looks amazing and somewhere I would certainly try for myself

9. Melanie Edjourian
    9th December 2016 / 2:50 PM

This looks fantastic, the food is beautifully presented and there seems to be a nice range of vegetarian food too.

10. Beautyqueenuk
    9th December 2016 / 8:43 PM

The food just looks so amazing and it is so beautifully presented it is a shame to eat it x

11. 9th December 2016 / 9:29 PM

My friends and I were thinking of where to go grab some food in hammersmith and now we have this option. Looks like a great place with awesome foods

12. 10th December 2016 / 3:26 AM

I probably would have squeezed the last of it in my belly too. Potato wedges can’t be skipped! It looks like a fabulous place to dine.

13. 10th December 2016 / 7:31 AM

Such beautifully presented food! I bet it all tasted amazing too. 🙂

14. 10th December 2016 / 2:32 PM

What an incredible veggie restaurant. I love the look of the tortilla and the hot chocolate looks so cute xx

15. Baby Isabella
    10th December 2016 / 10:46 PM

Ooo. We were up in Hammersmith recently as my daddy works in The Arc. Might keep a look out for this place. Food looks yummy!

16. Francesca Nelson
    11th December 2016 / 10:15 AM

Oh this looks so scrumptious!! I don’t often come across many veggie resturants so this is lovely!

17. Nayna Kanabar
    11th December 2016 / 7:23 PM

I love the gate restaurants, their range of foods is amazing and so very tasty.

18. fashion-mommy
    12th December 2016 / 12:35 PM

The presentation is amazing, I am not a vegan or even a veggie but I would eat there like a shot.

19. 12th December 2016 / 4:47 PM

I’m not vegetarian, but I have many friends who are and I love a meat-free treat every once in a while. This place will definitely be checked!

20. Mandi Morrison
    13th December 2016 / 11:43 PM

This food looks amazing! I never knew vegetarian could look so good

21. 9th January 2017 / 8:57 PM

Ahh… You should have shared this post a few months back when I was in London. I am a veggie and I’ve tried veg food in many restaurants there, but didn’t go here. The food looks so so yummy!

22. kcalpesh
    10th January 2017 / 3:39 AM

The moment I read the title on the pic, I got caught on to this post. Being a vegetarian and a foodie, I can really say that the food looks super amazing. Colors are really tempting and they invite you to go for a binge. If ever I happened to visit London, I’ll have this place bookmarked for a visit for sure. Thanks for sharing.