Book Review: Dancergirl By Carol Tanzman

BOOK REVIEW: DANCERGIRL BY CAROL TANZMANTitle: dancergirl
Author: Carol M Tanzman
Genre: Young Adult
Publisher: Harlequin
Publication Date: Novermber 15th 2011
Goodreads Summary: Ever feel like someone’s watching you? Me, too. But lately it’s been happening in my room.
When I’m alone.

A friend posted a video of me dancing online, and now I’m no longer Alicia Ruffino. I’m dancergirl. And suddenly it’s like me against the world.— everyone’s got opinions.

My admirers want more, the haters hate, my best friend Jacy,— even he’s acting weird. And some stalker isn’t content to just watch anymore.

Ali. Dancergirl. Whatever you know me as, however you’ve seen me online, I’ve trained my whole life to be the best dancer I can be. But if someone watching has their way, I could lose way more than just my love of dancing. I could lose my life.

{ Review }

Judging from the title, you’d think that this was a story all about a girl who dances, but it’s actually so much more than that. I wasn’t prepared for an eerie stalker story at all and I was really surprised by how creeped out I was by the some events in this book. This story is filled with suspense, right from the beginning to the end and you have absolutely no idea what’s going to happen next. There were several points whilst reading that I convinced myself that I knew what was coming and that I knew who the stalker was, but then something would happen to completely change everything I thought I knew and I was right back to square one.

It’s written from the first perspective so you read all of Ali’s thoughts which made everything more dramatic because life is pretty damn scary from the point of view of the person being stalked. I wasn’t particularly fond of any of the characters in this book, Ali included, however, I do think that the writing was pretty good. I could feel all of Ali’s panic and that drew me into the action of the book and made my heart pound alongside hers.

I didn’t particularly like the bits in this book that were about dancing. I didn’t feel like there was any real emotional connection in those pages and being a dancer myself it lacked the magic I was hoping for. On the plus side, the creepy, stalker parts of the book were excellent and instilled a real sense of fear in me. The parts of the book that involved friendship or love weren’t particularly interesting and the first part of the novel is largely preoccupied with these themes so it can take a while to get into the good stuff.

On the whole, I found this book to be pretty average. There are lots of twists and turns towards the end and the suspense really keeps you on your toes; however, I just wasn’t that taken with this book. I’m not a particularly big fan of suspense novels and yet those bits were favourite parts of the book which must show something. Despite being titled ‘dancergirl‘, the parts to do with dancing were my least favourite so I think there was something slightly amiss here. If you’re a fan of young adult suspense novels then by all means give this a try but I don’t think this book is anything to rave about.

Find more book reviews on What’s Hot here.

Available from Amazon here

Stay up to date with What’s Hot?

Bloglovin’ / Instagram / Facebook / Twitter / Pinterest

Share:

36 Comments

1. 1st October 2016 / 10:55 AM

It’s a shame you only found this book to be average. My wife does dancing and this would probably interest here but like you mentioned if there is a disconnect between the writing the dancing then it’s probably one best avoided!

2. 1st October 2016 / 3:36 PM

I have to be honest and say I don’t really like reading books which spook me out. If it was a film and I could hide behind a cushion and my husband, then maybe I would watch it!

3. everinmay
    1st October 2016 / 4:49 PM

great review i think the dance bit wouldn’t really appeal to me either, I do love a good thriller/suspense book but I have yet to find something that has me leaving my bedside lamp on lol xx

4. Little Steps
    1st October 2016 / 5:38 PM

I’m like you, not so fond of suspense novels too, though admittedly I got hooked with Kate Atkinson’s detective Brodie books 😉 This book as you’ve mentioned does sound a bit flat.

5. Beautyqueenuk
    1st October 2016 / 7:03 PM

Not too sure this one would appeal to me, I do love thrillers and I tend to read a lot of them x

6. 1st October 2016 / 7:49 PM

Sounds gravitating! I love twisty plots, something hidden away from your initial thought of the book title Now I need to add another book to my list…

7. 1st October 2016 / 8:53 PM

This isn’t my usual kind of book to read but it does sound interesting, one to add to my list x

8. Kathryn
    1st October 2016 / 8:57 PM

I am always looking for new book recommendations and this will be perfect for me to take on holiday next month xx

9. 1st October 2016 / 10:07 PM

I would not have guessed the book would have been like this from the name. Sounds interesting x

10. 2nd October 2016 / 9:49 AM

I like books written in first person voice. Would love to read a sample of this.

11. WonderfullyBookish
    2nd October 2016 / 10:40 AM

This sounds really interesting! I may have to give it a go at some point, after I’ve got through the millions of books I need to read!

12. 2nd October 2016 / 11:12 AM

This looks really good! I need to read more fiction

13. Hannah Heartss ❄️⛄️
    2nd October 2016 / 11:17 AM

Not heard of this book before, I might give it a read soon x

14. 2nd October 2016 / 6:26 PM

Sounds like an interesting read, I love romance and sometimes suspense books too

15. Clairejustineo
    3rd October 2016 / 10:10 AM

Good honest review. I keep meaning to pick myself a book up to read but not quite sure on what kind of story to choice ..

16. Jenni Grainger
    3rd October 2016 / 11:41 AM

It’s a good price isn’t it. I think the stalkery parts would scare me though x

17. 3rd October 2016 / 11:56 AM

I love books with twists and turns, it’s a shame that it is only average 🙁

18. Kara
    3rd October 2016 / 1:31 PM

Shame it’s not a book you love, guess it would appeal to some people though

19. Tanya Brannan
    3rd October 2016 / 2:28 PM

I really enjoy books that keep on your toes with suspenseful twists and turns, however this doesn’t seem like it would be worth the read, given your review. Thank you for your honesty x

20. 3rd October 2016 / 8:24 PM

I’ve never read anything like this before, don’t know if I fancy the ‘stalker’ element though.

21. Anthea
    3rd October 2016 / 10:50 PM

Not sure I could read a scary thriller story about a stalker… think it would creep me out big time

22. bethany naismith
    3rd October 2016 / 11:56 PM

I normally avoid books like this because they’re usually quite melodramatic! Thanks for your honest review, means I’ll know to give this book a miss

23. 5th October 2016 / 10:53 AM

Oh this sounds interesting… can’t quite decide if it’s worth a read or not! I have such little time to read these days that something has got to be PRETTY good for me to devote some time to it. Maybe I’ll put it on my radar for a day in the future when I have more disposable time!

24. Tania Potter
    5th October 2016 / 6:41 PM

I don’t think I have ever read a book on stalking, now that I think about it. It could be interesting but I’d probably give this a miss.

25. 5th October 2016 / 8:29 PM

This grabbed my attention straight away, sounds so good and really gribbing! Love books that keep you on the edge of your seat

26. 6th October 2016 / 4:46 AM

I like that you reviewed a book about dancing and you are a dancer! I think sometimes authors try and stretch themselves to write about characters they don’t really know about.

27. Carrie Chady Rundhaug
    6th October 2016 / 9:33 AM

This books sounds interesting! I am always looking for new books to read! I will definitely add this one to my TBR list.

28. 6th October 2016 / 10:20 PM

This genre is just to scary for me. I will pass it on to my SIL though she loves books (and movies) like this.

29. 6th October 2016 / 11:25 PM

I always love a good page turner … however this does sound a little scary to read too.

Nina
    aworldofdresses.com

30. 7th October 2016 / 1:44 PM

I thought it would really entice you and make you imagine what it’s like to be a dancer. I guess the mystery/thriller part was great but it lacked a little more life in terms of the dancing part.

31. Mary Welby
    7th October 2016 / 5:09 PM

I haven’t read this, but I love suspense. I know they say not to, but I always judge a book by it’s cover. The title and art need to jump out at me. The title reminds me of YA romance drama, so I’m not sure I would have picked it up. I might give this a try.

32. 8th October 2016 / 5:45 AM

When I saw it was a harlequin I totally thought it was going to be about romance but def wasn’t expect suspense. Definitely want to check out the book now.

33. 8th October 2016 / 3:27 PM

This looks so interesting! I do like it when you become fond of a character though but I guess it’s not the point of this story. I’ll have to give it a read.

Becca | theapresgal.com

34. Veethee Dixit
    9th October 2016 / 3:35 PM

Sounds interesting! I would love to check out this book!

35. Marie Davis
    9th October 2016 / 4:35 PM

This is so very interesting! Will check this out. Great post!