Today we have an interview with Kate Evangelista, the author of ‘Taste’, which is an absolutely fantastic YA paranormal romance 🙂
1. What inspired you to write Taste?
At the school I used to teach at, they would ring a bell in the afternoons to signal to the remaining students that they need to wait for their parents at the guard house for pick up. The practical answer for this is that the nuns need silence while they are at prayer. But in my head, I imagined other things happening in the school at night. That’s why the beginning of Taste is Phoenix waking up in the library with the bell ringing.
2. Are any of the characters based on people you know in real life?
No. The characters in my head come as they are.
3. Was the character Dray (and his experiments) inspired by any of your experiences in medical school?
Dray is the kind of character that comes along to mix things up. He’s so unsure of himself, but when it comes to his experiments, he’s totally confident. *laughs*
4. Will you be writing a sequel to Taste?
I’ve decided to leave it as a stand alone novel.
5. What’s your all-time favourite book and why?
Good Omens by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman. It’s the funniest take on the end of the world that I’ve ever read. I totally recommend it.
6. If you could swap lives with any literary character, which would you choose?
Amanda Briars from Suddenly You by Lisa Kleypas. My favorite historical romance of all time.
7. Which author, if any, would you compare yourself to?
I haven’t read enough novels to definitively compare myself to another author. I’d like to think that we’re all different no matter how many similarities we have.
8. Do you have any advice for budding young writers?
Prepare for the wait. There’s a lot of waiting involved in the writing process. When you send out your novel to your critique partners, you have to wait. When you start submissions, you have to wait. Once you get a publisher, there’s a lot more waiting there. So, starting now, save up on your patience.
9. What are you working on next?
I’m working on two trilogies. The first is Til Death with Entangled publishing and the second is Reaping Me Softly with Omnific Publishing. I can’t wait to share these stories with all of you.
10. Finally, if you were a biscuit, what sort of biscuit would you be?
Can I be a cookie? Because I would be chocolate chip and mint. Yum!
I would like to take this time to thank Laura for letting me hang out today. It was so much fun answering her questions. Please make Taste part of your summer reading and discover what Laura has discovered underneath Barinkoff Academy. I dare you to break curfew.
Stay up to date with What’s Hot?
Instagram / Facebook / Twitter / Pinterest